View older news
|2013-12-03| Rivals feed mobster to the pigs
In Reggio Calabria, Southern Italy, police arrested 20 men who are being accused for their involvement in several 'Ndrangheta related murders. One of their victims, Francesco Raccosta, a local clan leader, was beaten with a spade and finally was fed to the pigs while still alive. This was his punishment for killing rival clan leader Domenico Bonarrigo 11 days earlier. The crime dates back from March, 2012. Police, who had bugged the phone of one of the killers, heard how 24 year old Simone Pepe bragged to another mobster, telling him how he enjoyed to hear Raccosta shout and scream during the process of being eaten alive. "Someone said a few bits of him remained at the end of it all, but I couldn’t see anything, for me nothing remained at all. I said, wow, how a pig can eat" he added. Reason for all this is an ongoing turf war between several clans near the town of Oppido Mamertino. Police said this horrific deed proves just how cruel they really are.
|2013-11-26| Longtime Bonanno mobster Patrick DeFilippo dies in prison
Last Sunday former Bonanno capo Patrick DeFilippo passed away in federal prison, aged 74. DeFilippo had been arrested in 2006 for racketeering conspiracy and was sentenced to life imprisonment. During his last few years he suffered from bad health and heart failure. DeFilippo became a significant member of the Bonanno family under leadership of boss Joe Massino. He led a Bronx based crew and was also the one to introduce Vincent Basciano into the family. In 1999 he was responsible for the murder of Gerlando Sciascia, a murder which caused frictions between the Bonanno family and Montreal based Rizzuto family.
(Source: www.bop.gov, tonydestefano.com)
|2013-11-18| The Rizzuto war
Follow all new developments on the Rizzuto warfare on this new page!
|2013-11-12| Montreal mobster Moreno Gallo murdered
Moreno Gallo, once a close confidant of Vito Rizzuto, was murdered last Sunday in an Italian restaurant in Acapulco, Mexico. The murder occurred on the exact same day as when family patriarch Nicolo Rizzuto was killed three years ago. The 68 year old Gallo was deported from Canada in early 2012 due to his mob ties and had moved to sunny Acapulco ever since. In the meantime Gallo was lobbying with Canadian authorities for his return. Gallo was considered to be a member of the rival fraction which fought the battered Rizzuto family for control. It is presumable that Gallo had foreknowledge of the assassination of Nicolo Rizzuto back in 2010 and now has been punished for his deeds.
(Source: www.cbc.ca, huffingtonpost.ca)
|2013-11-07| Italy launches Mafialeaks website
In Italy a new initiative to capture Mafia members was launched in the form of a website. This site, called Mafialeaks, lets people "leak" information about the whereabouts or crimes of reputed mobsters in their neighborhood. The website promises to protect the identities of anyone wanting to inform. By use of this website the creators hope that victims or ex-criminals, who are still to afraid of talking, will finally feel safe enough to speak. However, the government also had concerns about the project because Mafiosi themselves could also deliver false information to confuse investigators. Either how, it could be a step in the right direction.
|2013-10-30| Gambino members sentenced in illegal gambling ring
Richard Uva and Victor Amereno, two alleged members of the Gambino family, have been sentenced for their part in a large scale gambling operation in Fairfield County, Connecticut. They helped supervise a network of sports bookmakers in the area which grossed about $1.7 million between 2010 and 2011. Both are closely affiliated with capo Dean DePreta, who was sentenced earlier to 6 years for his role in the operation. The FBI was able to bring them down by use of wire taps.
|2013-09-26| Former Cosa Nostra chieftain most likely to be extradited
After nearly 20 years of absence it seems likely that Domenico Randacore, nicknamed "the teacher", will be returning home. Randacore was the boss of the Trabia clan in northern Sicily, until 1993 that is, when he left everything behind and moved to a small suburb of Uxbridge in the UK. There he took the alias Marc Skinner and ran a travel agency. Together with his wife and daughter the former mob boss managed to live a quiet and comfortable life. His arrest early last month changed all that. The British Justice department had learned that Skinner actually was Domenico Randacore, a man who used to ran a violent branch of the Cosa Nostra and once firebombed a priests car. He has been sought of for several years for criminal association and could face up to 7 years in prison. Upon his arrest he told officers that he won't be going back to Sicily, because "they would kill me". He will have to wait until November to hear the verdict.
(Source: dailymail.co.uk, mirror.co.uk)
|2013-09-24| Wife and cousin of Nicky Scarfo Jr plead guilty
It's not until October for Nicky Scarfo Jr. to go on trial, but what is certain is that his wife an cousin will not be joining him. Both have pleaded guilty yesterday for their involvement in the FirstPlus Financial scheme. Nicky Scarfo, who ran the scam, tried to siphon over $12 million dollars from the Texas based company. His wife, Lisa Marie, admitted that she conspired to defraud a mortgage lender so she could buy a $715.000 home in Egg Harbor Township. Both his wife and cousin, John Parisi, could face 5 years in prison. Nicky Scarfo Jr. is the son of former Philadelphia boss Nicky Scarfo Sr., who is sitting behind bars since 1987.
|2013-08-12| Whitey bulger found guilty to multiple murder
The former runaway leader of the Winter Hill Gang in Boston faces life in prison after a jury decided he is guilty of committing 11 murders. The 83 year old Bulger didn't show any emotion when hearing the verdict. Bulger, who ruled the Boston underworld during the 70's and 80's, caused controversy when it was revealed that he had secretly helped the FBI in return for permission to continue his criminal affairs. He became one of the nations most wanted criminals after he disappeared in 1994. He was finally caught in California, 2011.
(Source: news.sky.com, nytimes.com)
|2013-07-26| Up to 100 people arrested during anti-Mafia raid in Italy
Italian police arrested more than 100 people after a large scale operation near Rome and Calabria. About 500 police officers took part in the swoop. In Rome the main focus lay with 3 clans while in Calabria the police focused on the 'Ndrangheta stronghold of Catanzaro. Amongst the arrested men are businessmen, lawyers, local politicians and medical doctors. One of the arrested businessmen is a boardmember of Lamezia Terme airport. About 200 million euro's were immediately confiscated.
(Source: bbc.co.uk, abc.net.au)